If you are a senior and enjoy that comfortable and cozy feeling of having slippers on your feet, then you can’t go wrong with a decent pair of slippers. However, if you are older, you’ll be worried about safety.
Mobility is a huge issue amongst seniors and the last thing that you’ll want are a pair of slippers that snag or hurt your feet. If you have ill-fitting slippers, then it might also mean that you’ll trip and cause yourself a very serious injury.
So what are the best slippers for seniors? What features should you be looking at with a good pair of slippers? How much should you have to pay for a decent pair of slippers?
Well, if you are interested in finding great slippers for older feet, then you should definitely keep reading.
List Of The Safest Slippers For Seniors
First up, we have a very comfortable slipper that will be perfect for the winter, with an all-around fur lining and a strong grip on the undersole.
This comes with elasticized goring on the tongue, meaning that will stretch to the natural movement of your foot and will not snag or chafe.
This is a very soft shoe for the elderly, which is great if you have sore or callouses. Older people also suffer from dry feet, so thankfully the softness of this slipper will cause any undue pain.
They also have leather on the underside, which will help you grip surfaces such as tile and wet wood very firmly.
If you like gardening in a comfortable pair of slippers, then these are the brand for you. They will help you maintain a grip on the ground as well as protect the outer portion of your food.
This shoe comes in a wide range of sizes, so if you happen to have a larger foot, then you can be certain that you’ll find something that will suit your needs.
- 100% fabric – this is made from only the very softest fabric, which is great if you don’t want your skin to scrape or scratch.
- Easy to get on – one of the most difficult things for seniors will be putting on their slippers. Well, you won’t have to worry about these, they are elasticated and can be taken on and off very easily.
- Rubber outsoles – these have wonderful grip, which means that you’ll be able to negotiate even the trickiest terrain.
- Lightweight – with these slippers you won’t have to worry about anything that will be dragging your foot down.
- You might have to wait for a few days before these slippers break in properly, so make sure you go carefully as first.
Next, we have a wider slipper for women that will help you to get around without pinching or unnecessary snagging. This has great heel and toe support, giving you everything that you need for a complete cradle effect.
Having something that you feel will protect you against scrapes and damages will be very important if you are going to be going out in the garden to trim that thorny hedge.
This slipper is very breathable, which is very important for reducing the level of sweat during the summertime. Sweat can often make your feet feel completely unbearable.
This slipper comes with great elastic support, so you can slip them on and off during any part of the day. This will also help reduce any swelling, as this will conform to the natural shape of your foot.
This comes with a memory foam comfort which you can be sure will help to maintain the movement of your ankle and heel, whilst also giving you that top level of support.
This slipper is also completely machine-washable, which is great if you are having difficulty trudging through the mud on a regular basis.
- Great support on the arches – if your arches and slightly lower than usual, then you can count on this slipper to give you great arch support.
- Can be washed in the machine – you can be sure that if you have gotten your slippers dirty in the garden, all you have to do is throw them in the machine for a great clean.
- Weatherproof – if you are worried about your feet getting wet in the torrential rain, then don’t, as this shoe comes with rubber and thick wool elements.
- Lots of patterns and designs – if you are looking for a slipper that suits your style, then this range has everything you need.
- Expensive – if you are looking to save money on slippers, then you might want to avoid these, as they are pretty pricey.
Next up, we have a wrap-around women’s slipper that you can be sure will give you everything you need for a comfortable fit. Vionic has been making orthopedic shoes for many years. It was the first brand mentioned by my podiatrist when I began having foot issues.
This is a great slip-on shoe that will give you no resistance or issue if you are putting it on quickly. Once it is on, it will also stay on, thanks to its hook-and-loop closure system.
This comes with odor-resistant terrycloth, which is great if you want to reduce that stinky-slipper sensation!
This is a very lightweight slipper with an EVA midsole that you can be sure will absorb all of the high impacts. This is also great for keeping that spring in your step and allows you much more fluid movements.
This comes with a breathable upper that you can be sure will give you a lot of sweat reduction. This makes it a great slipper to wear in the summer.
However, this doesn’t mean that you have to wear a boring slipper. This range comes in many different shapes and colors, so you can pick out something vibrant for both the spring and the summer.
- Great women’s shoe – this is a very comfortable slipper for women, accommodating all different sizes of feet.
- EVA soles – this comes with rubber padded soles which will really help you to absorb a large majority of any impact that you are putting onto the underside of your foot.
- Great support – if you are looking for a slipper that will cradle your feet, ankles and toes, then you won’t go far wrong with this brand.
- Breathable – if you are looking for a slipper that is breathable and will not leave your feet too hot and sweaty in the summer, then why try a pair of these?
- Sizes might be hard to gauge – if you have an awkward foot size, then you might find it hard to get a slipper from this range that will fit you.
Next up, we have a pair of slippers that you can be sure will give you everything that you need for comfort and flexibility. Here we have a slipper with a removable insole, that you can adapt to the size of your feet as well as your living situation.
This comes with great arch support and a U-shaped back design that you can be sure will give you everything that you need for a decent gait and walking ability.
This slipper is anatomically designed to fit with the natural shape of your foot. Because of this technology, you can be sure that you will not have many lesions or abrasions.
There are certain pressure points in the feet that you can be sure will cause you pain when you are walking on them over a long stretch of time. These slippers will alleviate that pain with the soft inner lining.
These come with rubber outsoles that you can be certain will not slip in the rain. This is great if you are working on wet decking, which can be very treacherous for seniors.
- Wider toe box – if you are looking for more wriggle room in your feet, then this is a great slipper for you to have, especially if you have pain in these areas.
- Great design – if you are looking for a slipper with a respectable design, then with their great trim and soft velvet material, these are prime candidates.
- Non-slip undersoles – if you are looking for something that will help keep you stable on your tiles kitchen floor, then these are amazing shoes to have.
- Lots of room – if you are looking for a decent slipper that you’ll be able to move your feet in with ease, then why not try these slippers?
- Expensive – these slippers are very expensive, so if you are looking to save yourself some money, then we would suggest that you opt for a different brand.
This next design of slippers is meant to ease the pain that you might get from swollen feet. These slippers come with extra depth in the sole to accommodate a larger foot.
This slipper is one of the best for heel-to-toe padding protection. This is one of the amazing design features that come with this slipper to help reduce the aggravation of swelling.
This comes with amazing shock absorption, which is another very helpful feature. If you have very delicate knees, then you’ll want to reduce the impact through your feet.
This slipper has also been designed to reduce the number of bad bacteria, which can often lead to your feet smelling very bad.
These slippers come made from wool that is very versatile, with a hand washable element that you can be sure will get rid of a lot of dust and dirt that can build up over time.
It is a very well-designed slipper, so if fashion still matters to you, then you won’t go far wrong with this amazing pair of slip-ons. They come in some amazing designs that will suit your fashion sense and home decor.
These come with very easy-to-use velcro tabs, which will not only give you a very secure slipper, but will allow you easily adjust the position of your slipper.
These shoes are extremely durable, coming made from a very tough material that will be able to withstand a lot of pulling, especially if your dog gets its teeth into them!
- Velcro tabs – this is great if you are looking for something that will give you a very secure holding around your foot.
- Secure undersole – if you are looking for a sole that is completely flat and will not cause you to lean or tip over, then this is the shoe for you.
- Bacteria prevention – if you are looking for something that will reduce the amount of smell from your feet, then this is a great pair of slippers to have.
- Great grip – if you are looking for something that will give you plenty of grip on the underside and plenty of traction on the wet floor, then this is the slipper for you.
- Arch support is not the best – if you have flatter arches, then you might want to look for another brand, as this does not give you a lot of support in the middle.
This next slipper is great for anyone who suffers from poor circulation or might have sores on their feet that they do not want rubbing on the inside of the slipper.
This comes with an adjustable hooking design that you can tailor to the exact right tightness of your foot. This is great if you are having a flare-up and you want your slipper a little looser than usual.
This comes in a great color scheme if you prefer your slippers more vibrant. These slippers will match the decor of pretty much any style of home.
This comes with a very durable rubber sole that you can be sure will give you everything that you need to stay firm on even the slipperiest of surfaces. This is another premium slipper for wet decking.
This comes with a knitted upper that you can be sure will give you everything that you need for a breathable foot. Often sweat can lead to much more serious foot lesions, so having breathable footwear will be very important.
This comes with anti-skid technology, which is great for seniors who have large tiled surfaces in their homes. This comes with a flex and loop design that you can use to adjust your shoe to within the inch of where you need it.
This also comes with a waterproof sole, which is very important if you don’t want your slipper damaged by repeated exposure to water. This can often rot the material and cause it to smell very stale.
- Great design and patterns – this is one of the best slippers for style, coming in a very vibrant pattern which will also help you to see them in low lighting.
- Thick cushioning – this comes with great that will help with all manner of foot issues such as sores, blisters, swelling and lesions.
- 100% money-back guarantee – this comes with a guarantee that you will be able to get your money back if the slipper is not to your liking.
- Hoop and loop design – this is great if you want to make sure that your slipper fits around your foot sores rather than rubbing up against them.
- Flimsy – some wearers have reported that these shoes do not last that long, so if you are looking for a pair you can wear for more than 6 months, then you might want to pick another option.
This next slipper is very well-made, coming with a slender and comfortable fit that is exactly what you need if you are suffering from circulation issues.
This comes with high-density memory foam, which is ideal if you want a slipper that is going to work for you and not against you.
This slipper can actually be used in a wide range of scenarios, whether it is in the hospital, at work or around the house. These are comfortable and breathable.
You also don’t have to pay through the nose for these slippers, as they come well under the $30 mark. This is great if you are looking to buy a few different pairs.
This is a very soft and comfortable slipper, which is great if you are looking for a slipper that will not chafe you when you wear it for consecutive days.
Having a hook and loop fastening system will be both easy to use and also very flexible, allowing you to get your slippers to the degree of comfort that you want.
This also comes with anti-slip protection underneath the sole of your slipper. This is perfect if you are going to be outside a lot or you are daunted about the prospect of walking across your polished kitchen tile flooring.
This comes in a few great colors, running from a very elegant black color to something a bit more vibrant and colorful.
- Open-out design – this slipper is great if you are looking for something that is easy to take on and off.
- Flexible design – this comes with a great design that will help seniors who are suffering from mobility issues or have arthritis in their hands.
- High-quality design and material – if you are looking for something that will stand the test of time and not degrade as fast as other slippers, then you can’t go far wrong with this brand.
- Waterproof – if you are walking around your backyard a lot, either gardening or just enjoying the fresh air, then you won’t have to worry about your slippers getting moldy and discolored by the wet.
- Too flimsy – this might be another slipper that does not give that much support to you, especially if you are slightly more active for a senior.
When you are buying a pair of slippers for seniors, there’s be a few things that you’ll want to consider, one of the main ones being safety. You can have too much material or even a poor design of slippers and it can cause some serious injury.
You’ll need to make sure that, first and foremost, your slipper goes easy on your feet. More often than not, you can have slippers that do not fit your feet properly and will actually cut into the ball, heel or toes of your foot.
Here are a few things that you should be looking for when you are shopping for a pair of slippers for seniors:
How Well Do They Support The Foot?
As you get older, your feet will require a lot more support. This is why having a slipper that will comfort your foot and keep it supported in the heel and under the arch of your foot is very important.
You’ll need to make sure that they give you decent support, not just for your feet but also for your legs, as often poorly made shoes or slippers will often start to affect other parts of the leg.
How Easy Are They To Put On?
This is very important if you are having mobility issues or you have arthritis. This will make dealing with very fiddly things like shoelaces very difficult and painful to do up.
This is why you either be looking at slip-on slippers or slippers that come with velcro tabs. If you want that security and flexibility, then we would certainly suggest that you opt for velcro tabs.
How Accommodating Are They For Your Feet?
As we get older, we suffer from various foot abnormalities. This is why it is important to get shoes that conform to the basic shape of many different types of feet.
Regular slippers are a lot more rigid and will cause you pain when you try and wrap them around a bunion or callus.
A lot of the slippers that you can get for seniors should expand and contract to help compensate for differently shaped feet. A lot of slippers on this list come with that wider footplate, which will certainly help you to reduce pain.
How Heavy Are They?
One of the main causes of injury is dragging your feet across the floor, which is not made easier with heavy designs of slippers. If your slipper has too much rubber on the sole, then you’ll definitely experience some dragging and foot pain.
You will also be more prone to trip hazards. One of the main things you should be able to do with your slipper is pick it up off the floor so that you can clear trip hazards such as leads and objects lying in your path.
How Comfortable Are They?
We are all aware of how painful feet can be, especially as we get older. Some of the most common foot complaints in seniors are chilblains, sores, blisters and corns. Therefore, it is important that the inside of your slipper is very comfy.
One of the most recommended materials for the inside of your slipper will be wool. This material is extremely soft and will not cut into your feet. It will also keep the circulation going and will allow air to move through the slipper, reducing sweat and bacteria.
If you have elevated soles, you can also be sure that you’re feet will be kept off the ground. This will also make your feet warmer, as they will not be in that close contact with the colder floor.
Do They Have A Wide Opening?
With a wider opening comes greater ease of access, which is very important if you are struggling with your mobility or you are suffering from swelling. If a foot is larger, then the last thing you’ll want is to be forcing your foot through a tight slipper.
You’ll also want the shoe to be easily taken off as it is to put on. Again, if you are struggling to take off your shoe, then you might use something like a shoe horn, which can actually scratch the inside of your foot and cause you further pain.
Does It Have A Non-Slip Sole?
This will be very important if you are wearing your slippers outside, especially in the rain. If you consider yourself an active senior, then one of the main sources of injury will be the fact that you are moving around on varying types of terrain.
Also, if you are going to be negotiating your bark yard in the rain, then you’ll want to be wary of a wet floor. If you slip and fall, then it could lead to some serious complications. This is why it is important that you have a thick sole with non-slip rubber on the underside.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why Should I Get The Right Size Of Slipper?
It is important to get the right size of slipper, as this could lead to injury and chronic pain. Often an ill-fitting slipper will cut into the sides or the tops of your feet and might lead to chafing and open sores over time.
How Much Should I Have To Pay For A Slipper For Seniors?
Some of the best slippers on this list are quite expensive, owing to the ergonomic design and some of the more complicated features. If you have a slipper with a decent design, then you might have to pay more than $30.
What Are The Best Slippers For Swollen Feet?
We would recommend that you get a velcro tab or hook and loop slippers, as these will help you to adjust the slippers to the increased size of your foot.
We hope that this article has helped you to decide what the best slippers for seniors actually are. Remember that you should always look at the design first and see how that will alleviate some of the pain in your feet.